[mythtv-users] frontend network control port

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Dec 11 17:16:58 UTC 2010

On 12/11/2010 12:07, Richard Morton wrote:
>> This is as designed, and its a bug.  The '@' character is not on the list of
>> 'approved characters', so it gets filtered out by the control server.
> Sorry Raymond, I guess you are getting frustrated with me... I still
> dont know what I should do. In my black and white view of the world,
> it is either as designed or it is a bug, not both!!!

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/networkcontrol.cpp#L419

There is a regular expression there that filters out characters that the
control server doesn't think should be sent.  It is doing exactly as it
is designed, so in that sense, it is working as intended.

> If it is not supported... is there another way to initiate playback of
> a mythvideo file using the network control port?

The addition of the 'play file' command was done at some point
afterward, and was apparently not tested against content in anything
other than the Default storage group.  It is supposed to work, but
because of the above regular expression, the '@' gets filtered out, and
the player is never given the proper file to access.

While adding a simple '@' to that list of characters and compiling would
seem a simple enough fix, that line also has the consequence of
filtering out any non-ASCII characters.  I've pinged the relevant dev on
IRC, but go ahead and file a ticket if you want.  As far as I can tell,
this bug has existed all the way back to 0.22 when 'play file' was
added, meaning the call has never worked properly.