[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Erik Jensen eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com
Sun Dec 12 09:19:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM, jmk <jmk at foofus.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to merge my file server (4x250GB mdadm RAID5) with my
> MythTV backend. I'd like to buy 3 2TB drives for a RAID5 setup to house
> recordings, videos, music, and personal files. I thought this would be a
> simple purchase and the WD20EARS initially looked like a good buy.
> Unfortunately, a bit of reading suggests there are all sorts of issues
> with recent drives I should take into consideration (e.g. 4K sectors,
> TLER).
>
> Does anyone have some positive experience/recommendations for 2 TB (or
> at least 1.5 TB) drives and mdadm-based RAIDs?
>
> Thanks!
> Joe

I currently have 10 of the the WD Green drives (8 WD20EARS and 2 WD15EARS)
running in RAID.   I bought six of them about six months ago, and the rest
about a month in a half ago.  I had one of the 1.5s die a little over a
month ago (on the plus side, WD's RMA process is about as painless as you
can get), but have been otherwise been very happy with them.  They
definitely run a lot cooler than other drives I have.

It seems that drive failure is for the most part a given with todays high
capacity drives, so I mainly look at features, price, and warranty when
selecting drives (though drives with silent corruption such as with the
Samsung bug is certainly worrisome).  Overall, I have been happy with
Western Digital's green line, so I will probably stick with them for the
near future.