[mythtv-users] Recommendation for WD Live/similar player for not-tech-savvy sister?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 12 21:19:35 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:52:15 pm Bobby Gill wrote:
> Hey folks just curious what y'all might recommend is a solid player
> that can play video files (.avi, .mkv, etc.) hooked up to a TV,
> voila that is all. Is intended for my sister who knows how to use
> Facebook and it stops there.
>
> All I need is for example she will come over to my place every few
> weeks and I plug it into my box, pop over a boatload of files, she
> takes it home, plugs it in and can watch (gotta be that simple for
> her lol). I have been checking out the WD Live on Amazon and it
> looks great and great reviews, curious what the experts here may
> know of.

Something you didn't mention was Netflix. A lot of people want this these
days.

The Myka can't do Netflix by itself, but since it is a UPnP/DLNA player,
I use the PlayOn server to get Netflix, and a LOT more, to play on the
Myka.

PlayOn requires a Windows PC on the home network, if your sister does
not have that you might want to look into an option that includes Netflix
playback, the WD unit of course being one of those.

I looked at the WD Live site, and one thing that concerns me is that one
of their FAQs is "how to roll back the firmware", if users are having to
do that often enough for the procedure to be included in a FAQ I'd be
concerned.

A couple of items down the FAQ list is "How to request an RMA". This is
also something to be concerned about :-)