[mythtv-users] recordedseek table content

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 12 22:45:46 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 17:00, D. R. Newman wrote:
> On 12/12/10 21:08, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> The only reason to ever do a multi-pass encode is if you're trying to
>> fit an exact file size.  Otherwise, just set a quantizer for an
>> acceptable quality, and let the codec do its thing.
> Don't two pass encodings use a higher bit rate where there is a lot of
> movement, and lower bit rates when there are just a few people talking?
> I set Avidemux to 2-pass encode to an average bit rate of 700 bps (for
> PAL originals), assuming that it would still manage the fast scenes
> while not taking up too much space.

Using a quantizer allows the compressor to use more or less bitrate as
needed to achieve the quality level set by the quantizer.  All a first
pass does is figures out how to distribute that to accurately hit a
desired bitrate.  If you don't care how big a video is going to end up,
there is no need for it.

>> See http://mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
>> It already does most of those operations as a user job, plus allows user
>> defined formatting of the resultant filename, and metadata pulling from
>> the defined data grabbers in MythVideo.
> Thanks for the reference. I knew about mytharchive, and the different
> job it does, but had not come across mythvidexport.py . I take it that
> it doesn't transcode the file, just moves it? (I have to ask, because
> Python isn't one of the languages I have used.)

Correct.  It copies the recording as it exists over to MythVideo.  It
does not do any transcoding.