[mythtv-users] Can MythTV make use of series and episode numbers in listings?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Dec 13 10:05:31 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 23:37, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/12/2010 18:28, Chad Oppliger wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Mike Holden<mythtv at mikeholden.org>
>> wrote:

>>> MythTV makes use of episode numbers in preference to subtitle for
>>> the purpose of duplicate detection, if they exist in the listings.
>>>
>>> It's only fairly recently that the Radio Times data has been
>>> carrying episode numbers.
>>>
>>> The problem I am seeing at the moment is that some programs are now
>>> recording again, even though I have already seen them, simply
>>> because they now have an episode number supplied, whereas last time
>>> they aired, duplicate detection was done on the basis of the
>>> title/subtitle combination. MythTV now sees the same episode as a
>>> new one because the previous showing had a blank episode number.
>>>
>>> I see no need to add the episode number to the subtitle, except
>>> perhaps in the exceptional case of an otherwise blank subtitle.
>>>
>>> The RT episode numbers still need some improvement, as sometimes
>>> it's just an episode number with no series number supplied, and
>>> sometimes the numbers are simply wrong.
>>> --
>> I think using the title and original airdate would be more accurate.
>> I would also like to see the original airdate added to the oldrecorded
>> table. Although the original airdate is not always 100% accurate it
>> is accurate most of the time. For my addon(mythepisode) the original
>> airdate in the oldrecorded table would be very helpful.
>
> The duplicate detection code actually uses the 'programid' field. This
> field may include the season and episode in some manner depending on how
> it is generated, but it cannot be reliably depended on for retrieving
> that information. By its very definition, it is guaranteed to be unique
> to a specific show. If it is reused on anything not marked generic, the
> guide data provider has screwed up. That field is always the first thing
> checked regardless of what duplicate check method has been chosen by the
> user. If one or both videos does not have this field defined, it falls
> back to the chosen duplicate check method.

Ah right. That makes a lot of sense. It might still be nice to have the
series+episode number used for the subtitle when no other subtitle
exists.

Another thing I'd like to be able to do is make use of series and
episode in user jobs. Are there any equivalents to %TITLE% and
%SUBTITLE% already, or would it make sense to have them?

Cheers,
	Paul.