[mythtv-users] Mailing list protocol [was: Mytharchive mysteries]

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Dec 13 10:22:24 UTC 2010

On 13/12/2010 01:16, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Gavin Hurlbut<gjhurlbu at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Nick Rout<nick.rout at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> yeah sorry, but actually it did get me a reply...
>>>
>>> so mission accomplished.
>>
>> The ends don't justify the means, etc.  :)  You know, you posted the
>> original email *2* days ago.  You know, people do have weekends, and a
>> little patience does go a long way.
>>
>> I guess I'm just being irritable today...  I need more coffee.
>
> So what IS the correct protocol if you post a message to the list and
> it just falls off the face of the earth? It's happened to me before
> and I'm sure plenty of other users have experienced the same. In a
> modern threaded email client, a *bump* works just fine, but I guess
> one shouldn't make such assumptions - is it better to just post the
> question again if you haven't recieved a response after, say, 5 days?

Yeah, I've been in that position too. And the same as you I guess,
I'm NOT thinking "Where's all those relies I justly deserve?" I'm
thinking "I wonder if my message arrived at particularly busy period
on the list and got missed" and "Maybe my subject was badly chosen
and didn't pick up the people that might be able to help" and
worst "I hope some of outspoken remarks I might have made in the
past haven't put me on some of the devs kill lists!". I too wonder
what's best to do then. I usually completely reword the question
and try again. I don't know if that's a good method or not.

Cheers,
	Paul.