[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.10 and Intel 855GME

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 13 14:42:49 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 13, 2010 07:28:44 am Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I have a Pentium M Laptop with an Intel 855GME which is one of my
> frontends. I run the trunk.
>
> On Ubuntu 9.10 it runs adequately. On Ubuntu 10.10 recordings skip
> badly with the log showing it runs out of video buffers continually.
>
> In both cases its running ffmpeg with xv-blit. In both cases XV is
> using the Intel Overlay driver.
>
> What is strange is that on 10.10, mplayer and xine run without skips.
> vlc skips like MythTV. In all cases I've copied some MythTV
> recordings (1080i/720P) from the backend to the laptop for testing,
> using mythavtest in the Myth case.
>
> They are all using the same Xvideo support. The Xorg log shows XvMC
> is disabled so thats not an issue.
>
> Any ideas why mplayer can play the MythTV mpgs without skipping, and
> Myth can't on Ubuntu 10.10? I know there are 855GME issues after 9.10
> on Ubuntu, but still why Myth and not mplayer?

Remember that Myth is doing more than just playing the file, it's
checking for commercial points, deciding if it should skip them, and
more. It's communicating with the backend/database, something a
standalone player need not do.

If you're connected by WiFi, especially a USB based setup, add even more
to the load.

What confuses me is you say VLC is also having problems, but it may be a
little more complex than the other players.

A Pentium M is marginal for HD. I don't know much about the Intel video
drivers, but AFAIK they do not provide any hardware decoding.

Ubuntu, like most projects, gets more complex (some would say bloated)
with each new release. So you have added a more complex (ie possibly
slower) OS to an already marginal playback setup.

I'd be curious what Ubuntu 10.04 LTS would do, the LTS releases tend to
have less "experimental" stuff in them.