[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Blake Perdue bperdue at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 22:23:25 UTC 2010

I am new to MythTV. I've been doing research to put together a hardware list. I have budgeted $1,000 for this project.

While I'm new to MythTV, I've built other systems before, most recently a hackintosh machine.

I am having trouble figuring out a good hardware setup for my needs. Details below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Blake

I live in New York City. I am a Time Warner Cable subscriber. I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box that outputs HD and SD channels to our HDTV.
What I need is a frontend and backend in one system that can:

- record a minimum of 2 HD or SD channels at one time; I would prefer to record 3 or 4 (2 HD plus 1-2 SD) channels at the same time
- do commercial flagging
- have lots of storage to build up a media library (I'm thinking a RAID array of two 2TB drives)
- room to expand the RAID array (so I need a case and motherboard that can handle a RAID array of at least 4 to 8 disks)
- a good CPU to also do DVD ripping and other media operations
- a bluray drive to play bluray discs
- decent video card for HDMI output to an HDTV
- have enough RAM and CPU power to last a few years and eventually be the backend for 2-3 front-end systems

Thoughts? Do I even need a cable box for this? What CPU/Motherboard and capture card/video card combos do you recommend? Thanks so much!