[mythtv-users] Advice on re-doing my channels/capture cards

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 15 23:26:38 UTC 2010

Recently, Comcast added new HD channels to my lineup (which are actually
the same channels I had, but they grouped them better now; the originals
are still available, but I know at some point, they'll go away).  I can
only see them via the HD-PVR, which is no big deal.  I was thinking that
since I just put 0.24 on my system, it might be worth re-doing the
capture cards and channel lineup.  But I'd like some advice on if my
approach is worth it.

I have the HD-PVR, an HDHR, and a pcHDTV-5500 card.  I can't get
anything on the analog portion of the pcHDTV card without a converter
box due to the "enhancements" (cough, cough), so I will have OTA
channels on the pcHDTV card as well as the HDHR.  I know that I can do
the "fetch channels from listing source" deal for the HD-PVR.

My issue/question comes with the scanning: When I scan for channels on
one of the cards, I use QAM-256 and get channels.  I get a lot of boxes
that come up that say "Found xx MPEG channels" with options to add
manually, or add them all automatically.  But they are the digital
streams (like 79.1, etc.), so I'm not sure what they are yet.  What
muddies the water in my head is that, after I add the channels, I'd like
to number them according to the card they're available on.  For example:
my local ABC HD affiliate is channel 231.  So I'd like to have the Myth
channel be 1231 for the pcHDTV card, 2231 for the HDHR-0, 3231 for the
HDHR-1, and 4231 for the HD-PVR.  I think that'll make scheduling easier.

Should I do this process 1 card at a time?  Do the pcHDTV card and video
source, see what I have, get rid of the crap I don't care about, and
re-number the channels, then move onto the HDHR, them lastly the
HD-PVR?  Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Harry