[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 16 03:02:42 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 06:51:54 pm Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 03:56:38PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Just a clarification:
> Unfortunately, your dictionary must have a different definition of
> the word clarification than mine does. :)
>
> > There is a new product in the works (the HDHR Prime) that may allow
> > the capture of encrypted cable channels using a CableCard, but
> > this will almost certainly be restricted to channels marked as
> > "Copy Freely", so it's not a total solution. There are no drivers
> > for Myth yet, the Myth devs are good, but even they can't write a
> > driver for something that doesn't exist yet.
>
> The HDHR Prime will work with MythTV, one of the guys at Silicon Dust
> has been testing with a HDHR Prime and MythTV.

I assumed it would, and that someone had got hold of at least a sample,
but I didn't know that for certain, and don't want to mislead anyone.

But I think I'm safe in saying no production drivers exist for Myth,
unless it will just work with the current HDHR code.

I'd buy one, except if all I can get is "copy freely" it's probably not
worth it, figuring in the CC rental fee as well.

> > Since Hauppauge (maker of the HDHR Prime) has shown good
> > cooperation with Linux and Myth in the past, I think we can expect
> > they will continue to do so.
>
> And, speaking of Silicon Dust, here's your second mis-clarification.
> Hauppauge doesn't make the HDHR or the HDHR Prime, Hauppauge makes
> the HD-PVR.  Silicon Dust makes the HDHR and HDHR Prime.

Ooops, you're correct of course. I always confuse those two for some
reason.