[mythtv-users] PVR-150 video quality problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 16 03:54:15 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 06:11:04 pm John Clonts wrote:
> I acquired 3 PVR-150 cards and 2 of them exhibit this problem:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhgiSv4B_kc
>
> Running on Captured from the device by:
>     dd if=/dev/video2 of=t.mpg bs=2048 count=1024
>
> The other card captures and plays perfectly.  I have tried various
> combinations of cables, PCI card slots, etc, and it seems to be the
> card(s).  Are these 2 cards just 'bad', or is there something I can
> try.

If you can, try them in another machine, even a Windows machine (some
would suggest this as a better test, certainly that's what customer
service would tell you to do).

Try playing the captured video on another machine as well, you want to
ascertain with certainty whether the problem is with recording or
playback. I know playback is unlikely, but stranger things have
happened.

I assume you have tried each one individually.

You might try the baseband inputs, the trouble may be the tuners. It's
likely not all 3 cards have the same tuner, Hauppauge used a lot of
different ones. The cards may have different requirements for RF input
level.

dmesg will tell you what type tuners were detected.

Also, some cards had FM tuners, some had remote receivers, some had IR
transceivers, some were low profile, lots of variations of that card.
Every now and then you run across one that needs manual module tweaking