[mythtv-users] PVR-150 video quality problem

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Dec 16 11:12:06 UTC 2010

On 16/12/10 03:56, Mark Boyum wrote:
>> You might try the baseband inputs, the trouble may be the tuners. It's
>> likely not all 3 cards have the same tuner, Hauppauge used a lot of
>> different ones. The cards may have different requirements for RF input
>> level.
>>
>> dmesg will tell you what type tuners were detected.
>>
>> Also, some cards had FM tuners, some had remote receivers, some had IR
>> transceivers, some were low profile, lots of variations of that card.
>> Every now and then you run across one that needs manual module tweaking
>>

> As odd as this will sound, try shuffling them around in your system.
> I had a pair of 150s and thought one was bad as it did the same as
> yours.  But simply moving it to a different PCI slot resolved the
> issue.

PVR-150's also consume a fair amount of power from your PCI bus. It's possible
you may be overloading the bus and/or the power supply, and that only one of
your cards has components that will work under those conditions.

Try each card *separately* in your motherboard. If these all work, or two of
them work, the next thing to do is swap out the power supply for a much beefier
one. It doesn't have to be a permanent swap - just long enough to prove a point.

Having done that you will have a better idea which pieces of hardware are
compatible with what, and proceed from there.

--

Mike Perkins