[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 16 16:23:16 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 09:09:35 am jedi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:28:32PM +0000, Richard Morton wrote:
> > Blake,
> >
> > Unfortunately as hardware such as motherboards are replaced at a
> > very rapid rate it is hard to keep a list of supported boards up
> > to date, and it is more a linux issue than a myth issue.
>
>     Yes. A general Google search will be more useful here. You can
> also try searching for results for individual bits of hardware on
> either the Ubuntu or Gentoo forums. Both are pretty good for
> "general linux" information.
>
>     Sites like NewEgg also seem to have useful feedback from users.

But very little of it is relevant to Linux. Most of their feedback seems
to be from Windows gamers.

The Asus forums have good feedback on the Asus motherboards, which I
have found to be of good quality and very reliable (the boards I mean).

Linux now supports most mainstream hardware well, the days of having to
search for drivers are pretty much past. If it's been out more than a
month or two it will generally "just work".