[mythtv-users] HD PVR and IR transmitter for channel change (why)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 16 18:21:03 UTC 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 1:05 PM, David McMillan wrote:

> I've had a lot of headache over getting the IR from the HD-PVR with a
> newer firmware(15) and 2.6.23 Linux kernel to work correctly.
> I have been unable to get lirc-zilog to modules to load up the
> firmware.  lirc-dev finds something on the 250 node, but lirc-zilog
> only prints out info that the driver initialization is complete.  I
> initially tried the kernel in Fedora 14 but the hdpvr modules did not
> support my hdpvr because of a newer productid (4903).

The latest Fedora 14 kernel in the build system should support it.

> My STB is a DirecTV H24 and I haven't found much info on a (reliably)
> working USB to Serial<->null-modem-adapter<->Serial to USB
> configuration.  My new MB doesn't have a serial port only a header for
> one.
>
> My next step is to either buy a serial port that will plug in on a
> serial port header on the MB and try without one of the USB/Serial
> converters or to try another type of IR-Transmitter (any suggestions?)

USB to serial adapters won't work for homebrew-style lirc_serial-driven
transmitters or receivers, so the motherboard header route is the
better of the two alternatives there. But I'd just get something that
is natively usb, like an mceusb device, if it comes to that. Before you
do that though, you might try this:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.35.10/67.fc14/

(Further fixage for mceusb devices to come in a subsequent build,
but that one should be all good for hdpvr devices).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com