[mythtv-users] ease of [clear qam] channel scanning

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Dec 16 20:17:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Doug Lytle wrote:
>
>> Joseph Fry wrote:
>>
>>> Mythtv is not a piece of software... its a hobby... if you treat it as a
>>> fun way to waste time and money, you will not be disappointed.
>>>

>> Extremely well said, and I've been having a ball for a couple years now!
>>  And, an expensive one at that :)
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Exactly!
> I learned (started using, anyway) Linux by building a Mythbox.
> MythTV version 0.18.
> Anyone questioning the amount of improvements that the devs have made to
> MythTV should have a crack at 0.18 or 0.19.
> Unless one used the early releases, one really has no idea how much effort
> the devs have *donated* to make this project what it is today.
>
> The way I look at it.
>
> My two choices about MythTV (or any free, open source software)are:
> Learn to use it the way it works.
> Contribute to the project to help improve it.
> Find another...
>
> My three choices about MythTV (or any free, open source software)are:
>
> Learn to use it the way it works.
> Contribute to the project to help improve it.
> Find another open source ap that works better.
> Pay for...
>
> I'll add my 2 cents to the conversation.  I was using Comcast with their
DVR.  With cable tv, internet and phone service, my monthly bill was in
excess of $150.  For the $150 I didn't even get HD.  I dropped Comcast,
switched to Qwest DSL and Vonage phone service.  Now my monthly bill is
about $50.  Using an indoor antenna gets me 14 nearby channels.   For movies
I use Netflix.

But by far the single best addition was MythTV.  Comcast's DVR might have a
little better method of recording channels, but everything else about their
DVR was second rate.  If you want to skip commercials with Comcasts DVR you
needed to hack your Comcast remote to include a 30 second skip.  But with
MythTV, it just skips the commercials.

The developers and other contributers are owed a great deal for giving us
this ever improving software.

Clifford