[mythtv-users] Now on Cablevision, without even moving

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 17 14:28:08 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 06:56:26 am Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > As of this morning my cable TV provider / ISP is now CableVision,
> > who bought out the Bresnan system in my area.
> >
> > Cablevision says it "Looks forward to providing even more features
> > and value, and even more meaningful enhancements " to me.
> >
> > Is there anything I should look out for? Any CV customers out there
> > have any advice about particular traps CV might have in store. In
> > particular I'm concerned about bandwidth caps, which up to now
> > have not existed for me. I asked at their office and was told they
> > "have no information about that at this time".
> >
> > My contract with the former operator (Bresnan) appears to have
> > enough loopholes to fly the planet Jupiter through. Real life
> > experiences with CV would be appreciated.
>
> I've had CV (Optimum Online) for over six years (just for
> Internet...I have no pay TV), and overall they've been good, though
> I have to say that in my area they started actually caring about
> customers about the time FIOS came into the area.  Before that I was
> sure I'd jump ship when FIOS came around, but CV has served me well
> enough to prevent that I have to say.  I also HATE Verizons billing
> practices where they say $70 and ends up being $100 after extra fees
> etc...I can't believe the feds let them get away with it.  There's
> none of that with CV.
>
> If they're going to be giving you new hardware do everything you can
> to get a DOCSIS 3 modem.  In my area it got to where my evening
> speeds were terrible until I got one.
>
> The only caps I'm aware of with them is that, in some cases where
> they feel your upstream bandwidth is being abused (that is, they
> think you're running a server) they've been known to cap the
> upstream to 150kbps...a cap which can be removed by calling customer
> service. Nobody knows what the criteria is for that however.  I
> think it requires that you spend a lot of time saturating your
> upstream bandwidth.  At one time years ago it appeared they were
> throttling bittorrent ports, but as far as I understand they no
> longer do any such thing.
>
> As far as speeds, I have OOL Boost and get very consistent speeds of
> near 30mbps down and 5mbps up, at least since I went to DOCSIS 3.  No
> complaints there for sure.
>
> I'd suggest the OOL forum on dslreports.com but frankly I only use it
> when I have an actual problem.  There are a few too many OOL
> worshipping trolls there that simply *must* be on the CV payroll...I
> just find the place really hard to take.

Thanks, that's all good information, I have several friends and family
members with residential internet service here.

I have a business account, that permits running servers, and my speeds
are guaranteed to be a minimum of 10 down and 3 up, with no caps and no
blocked ports. I also get 5 static IPs.

With residential accounts here some ports are blocked (like 25), and the
operator regularly scans for servers, especially on port 80, and sends a
letter to anyone "caught" running a server, which is a violation of the
TOS for a residential account. I can't say if they are doing anything
with torrent traffic, I don't use that protocol, except for the occasional
distro download.

I'm familiar with DOCSIS3, it hasn't been deployed here yet, but the
former operator was talking about it.

Customer service has been great, I get a human in 2 or 3 rings, who
actually seems to understand technical matters, and they have never
failed to get a tech out the same day, once while I was still on the
phone with them. Of course my fear is this will stop with CV taking
over.