[mythtv-users] Orphan recordings cleaned up?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 17 21:28:50 UTC 2010

  On 12/17/2010 03:36 PM, Harry Coin wrote:
> Ok.  What's the procedure to determine which recording files in any
> given directory holding recordings are not in the database?
>
> I need an 'Orphan Recording Identification' procedure.   Once I have
> that, the idea of keeping the ones we like as videos makes sense.
>
> I just suspect there is a whole lot of space being taken up by what
> looks like totally normal recordings when listing a directory
> manually.  How can I know which are the ones that just waste space as
> myth has long since forgotten about them, won't delete them, won't
> show them. I want to delay buying bigger disks for no reason!

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

for orphaned files you want to delete, you can simply take the script's
output and put it in a text editor and search/replace to make a bunch of
lines that say

rm /srv/mounts/twotb_1/video/2054_20080225110000.mpg

etc.--using the full path to the file provided by the script.

Mike