[mythtv-users] video playback from external USB drive pauses every few seconds

Jason Kraftcheck jkraftch at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 18 18:53:45 UTC 2010

I'm having some troubles with video stored on an external WD harddrive
and am hoping that someone might have a suggestion or two.  Some videos
work fine but for some playback pauses for a fraction of a second every
half a minute or so (rough estimates only.)  When I copy the file to an
internal disk playback works fine.  It does not appear to be an issue
with disk or USB bus bandwidth because playback actually improves if I
copy large files to/from the disk at the same time.  Is this some kind
of power management issue?  How does one tweak such things in
ubuntu/mythbuntu?

thanks,

- jason