[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 18 20:39:31 UTC 2010

On Saturday, December 18, 2010 01:05:12 pm Kevin Ross wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 2:19 AM, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> > what's happnin' about playing br disks, is there a copyright issue,
> > or has nobody got arround to it yer?
> > Jacob Mansfield
> > Programmer
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Definition_Disk_Formats

Remember that, with the exception of Fluendo, there is presently no
legal way to play css protected DVDs under Linux, because you have to
break the css in order to play it.

Then there is the MPEG2 license issue, which I think is also taken care
of with Fluendo.

There was LinDVD, but that was not available to individuals, only to
OEMs, so the only way to get it was to buy a machine with it already
installed, and I think it's no longer available in any case.

But there is no similar Blu-Ray product for Linux. In the US any method
not using a licensed player is probably a violation of both the DMCA and
the MPEG2 licensing and possibly some Dolby licensing issues as well.
(though IANAL).

I think Myth's approach of supporting the file structure is a good start,
having things ready if the legal issues get resolved.