[mythtv-users] strange resolution issue over VGA

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 01:07:52 UTC 2010

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote on Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 05:32:53PM -0500:
>  On 12/18/2010 04:23 PM, Joey Morris wrote:
> >I have a Panasonic TC-L32C22 720p LCD that I'm considering connecting
> >to my frontend via VGA. It's a 1366x768 panel. Xorg seems to
> >autodetect it just fine, and the desktop looks normal. xrandr reports
> >that I'm running at 1360x768. However, the Myth GUI and playback are
> >stretched. It looks as if Myth displays a 4:3 resolution and the TV
> >stretches it to 16:9, even though the output of mythfrontend says it's
> >using 1360x768.
> >
> >Here's the really strange part: I exited Myth, used xrandr to change
> >to a lower resolution, immediately used xrandr again to change back to
> >1360x768, and then restarted Myth. This time the Myth GUI and playback
> >looked fine! I'm not sure how best to troubleshoot this issue. Any
> >suggestions?
>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
> +
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Display_Size

Thanks for this. I created an xorg.conf file to set my DisplaySize to
get a DPI of 128x128, and Myth is no longer stretching everything.
Forcing a DPI of 96x96 or 100x100 also worked, but I liked the size of
the desktop items better at 128x128. (The Myth widgets were the same
size at each of these DPI settings).

Without an xorg.conf, X autodetected a DPI of 96x96, according to
Xorg.0.log. But for some reason once I got into my X session and could
open a terminal, xdpyinfo reported a DPI of 128x96. What would have
changed my DPI during X startup?

I should mention that this is on Mythbuntu using the updates
repository, running on Intel graphics (the i3-540).