[mythtv-users] Random lockups on Mythbackend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 20 19:49:41 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 20, 2010 12:16:01 pm dwoody1 wrote:

> I read some where that with the HDMI output the computer did not have
> to convert to analog, which would take more processing. Do not
> really know if this is true or not.

Nor do I, I'd think that would be the job of the video card or the
onboard GPU, but I'm not sure.

> >> Could cpu usage between 88% - 95% be causing my problem?
> >
> > Yup. Remember that top shows only an average over time, and you
> > probably have peaks that are well over that.
>
> I used gkrellm which presumably gives real time info. But there were
> spikes to 99% and at one point 100%.

As was pointed out, simply overloading a CPU should not cause a lockup,
just bring things to a crawl, unless the CPU is overheating, but then
they are supposed to throttle down, not lock up. It takes a pretty
serious thermal problem to actually lock up a CPU these days.

> >> If so, from your comments above, a VDPAU-capable video card would
> >> be called for. From your experience, are there cards that you
> >> would recommend or avoid?
> >>
> >>From comments here and other places I'd go with an nVidia GT220 or
> >>240,
> >>
> > they are reasonably priced and seem to work well.
>
> Any brand better than another? Also, how much on board memory should
> I get?

I'm don't have any brand preferences, you might look at the reviews on
Newegg, those gamers tend to really stress video hardware.

Be careful that the card doesn't block an adjacent slot if you need it,
the fanless cards are particularly bad at that.

I think you want at least 512MB for VDPAU, but too much RAM is never a
problem, though it does chew power and add heat.

> Kevin Ross also responded with some info (thanks for the input). Of
> the two lockups he had encountered, the mceusb remote control
> receiver looked interesting. So I tested with a keyboard only. I
> recorded a 1080 show, commflaged a 1080 show and watched a 1080 show
> -- no lockup. I then removed the keyboard and reinstalled the remote
> control and did the same test -- LOCKUP. I then replaced the remote
> receiver with an identical one from another computer. The test was
> the same except that the show I recorded was an HD -- NO LOCKUP. The
> cpu usage was still high and the temperature was also high, so I
> think a video card is still called for.

I'm confused, you're talking as if 1080 and HD were not the same thing,
which of course they are. Anything greater than 480i is technically
"HD".

> Before I call this one solved I want to run for several weeks. If I
> have no more lockups then I will reply adding SOLVED to the subject
> line.
>
> Do I need to reply to Kevin's email with the info about the remote or
> is it adequate with the info in this reply?

I'd guess he read this post.