[mythtv-users] Need Help: HD-PVR IRBlaster

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 20:02:04 UTC 2010

 >On Dec 20, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Martin Lynch wrote:

 > > *Resent in plain text; changed subject to avoid confusion with Mark
Pennock's thread*

bought the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It works fine, except I cannot get the
IRBlaster to work. It's been 2 weeks now of Googling and trying all
manner of suggestions.

possibly post lircd.conf and hardware.conf? Am running Ubuntu 10.04, if
that's important.

likewise post their channel changing script? I think (but am not
certain) that this is equivalent to a Dish vip 612.

remote to work, just the channel changes.

however my Bell boxes do not include a firewire port (I'm in Canada so
they are not legally required to).

going in circles for days now on this.

 > > OK, some additional info:
 > >
 > > /var/run/lirc/ contains lircd and lircd.pid
 > > /dev/ contains lirc0 and lircd, which is a link to
/var/run/lirc/lircd (which I think I created manually - I've tried so
many variations to get this working that I'm no longer certain...).
 > > $ sudo irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE blaster select
 > > irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE blaster select
 > > irsend: hardware does not support sending
 > >
 > > $ sudo irsend -d /dev/lirc0 SEND_ONCE blaster select
 > > irsend: could not connect to socket
 > > irsend: Connection refused
 > >
 > > /var/run/lirc$ ls -al
 > > total 4
 > > drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  80 2010-12-18 17:48 .
 > > drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 860 2010-12-19 07:42 ..
 > > srw-rw-rw-  1 root root   0 2010-12-18 17:48 lircd
 > > -rw-r--r--  1 root root   5 2010-12-18 17:48 lircd.pid
 > >
 > > $ uname -a
 > > Linux HTPC 2.6.31-11-rt #154-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Jun 9
13:40:34 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

 >Do you have a patched hdpvr driver that enables the IR part? That's
 >a requirement for lirc_zilog to be able to bind to the hardware. You
 >mention you "downloaded the HD-PVR driver", but I don't know exactly
 >what that means. What sort of output do you see in dmesg just after
 >driver load? (even better, after 'modprobe lirc_zilog debug=1'). You
 >appear to have *something* creating /dev/lirc0, but it doesn't seem
 >to be lirc_zilog.

 > > PS: when making changes to lircd.conf or hardware.conf (or changes
to /dev/lirc) is it a requirement to restart lircd for the changes to
take effect?
 >Yes, yes, and maybe (depends on the changes).

 >-- Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com

Many thanks for responding, Jarod!

Here's what dmesg contains:

[   14.401646] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 251
[   14.404336] lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
[   14.408669] lirc_zilog: ivtv i2c driver #0: no devices found
[   14.408673] lirc_zilog: no device found
[   14.414267] lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
[   14.414295] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[   14.414352] Zilog/Hauppauge i2c IR 3-0071: firmware: requesting
haup-ir-blaster.bin

martin at HTPC:~$ sudo modprobe lirc_zilog debug=1
[sudo] password for martin:
martin at HTPC:~$

I downloaded the HD-PVR driver from
http://www.themainlan.com/mythtv/hdpvr-blaster-drivers.tar.gz following
the instructions at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR.

Thanks for clarifying that I need to restart lircd after changes. Is it
correct to start lircd via the command line with $sudo lircd? The
command line arguments I posted previously are what are shown under
System Monitor for lircd, however I simply typed "sudo lircd" - the rest
of the arguments ("--output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --device=/dev/lirc")I
take it came from lircd.conf? Actually, now that I look at it, the
arguments point to /dev/lirc, which does't exist - only lirc0 and lircd
(pointer to /var/run/lirc/lircd) exist. Tried stopping lircd and
restarting with --device=/dev/lirc0 and doesn't make a difference. When
restarting lircd, do I need to unload and reload lirc_zilog and/or lirc_dev?

I'm happy to start the whole process from scratch, if that's cleaner, if
you can tell me how to get back to my original, pre-attempts state (ie,
would I just stop lircd, modprobe -r lirc_zilog, remove lirc_zilog,
restore the old lirc_dev, delete haup-ir-blaster.bin, delete /etc/lirc/
and perhaps reboot or re-log-in?).

I see you devote an awful lot of time to the community regarding
IRBlaster issues, Jarod - thanks, sincerely, for your help, and my
apologies if it seems I'm being obtuse - trying to get this working
reminds me of day 1 with Linux, 5 years ago - like learning a new
language, and not one of those easy latin-based ones either!

--

Kind regards,

Martin