[mythtv-users] Help with the new theme download requirements for the git Master branch

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:24:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 10:22:30PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> It has been a while, but on my current .24 box, I had to add a "Temp"
>> Storage Group to my backend as the logfile told me it could not be
>
> You shouldn't have had to do this.  "Temp" is a "built in" Storage Group.
> It is set to a 'tmp' subdirectory under the normal MythTV config dir.  On
> a *nix box, this is ~/.mythtv/tmp.
>
> If this directory does not exist, the Storage Group code will create it and
> will print a warning if the create fails.
>
> I've never had to define a "Temp" Storage Group on my system.  I added the
> support for the "built in" groups so that I did not have to do this.  There
> is also a built in "Themes" group which points to ~/.mythtv/themes which is
> where all downloaded themes get installed.
>
>> found.  Once I added that Storage Group, the theme downloads worked.
>> Before I added that, the status bar would just bounce back and forth
>> endlessly and I would have to kill the frontend.
>
> Can you re-test without this "Temp" Storage Group defined and look for
> error messages in the FE and BE logs?

Yep, it worked just like you said this time, so I went and looked, and
the init script was setting home to "/etc/mythtv" unless I explicitly
set it to something else.  I must have not been setting it back then
in the startup scripts.

>> This is all with a fixes branch from a while ago, of course it could
>> all be different now.
>
> Not much has changed in that area.  I don't recall fixing any bugs related
> to this since that's core functionality that would have had to have worked
> during testing.

user error  :-/

I would bet there was an error somewhere above the SG error about
"/etc/mythtv" that I missed, and just noticed the SG error since it
kept scrolling by every second.

Thanks