[mythtv-users] Need Help: HD-PVR IRBlaster

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 18:36:11 UTC 2010

>> >  Actually, now that I look at it, the arguments point to /dev/lirc, which does't exist - only lirc0 and lircd (pointer to /var/run/lirc/lircd) exist.
> Yeah, that's probably why its saying hardware doesn't support sending,
> there's not actually any hardware backing /dev/lirc.
So should it point to lirc0 (inode) or lircd (link to
/var/run/lirc/lircd) or directly to /var/run/lirc/lircd?

>> >  I'm happy to start the whole process from scratch, if that's cleaner, if you can tell me how to get back to my original, pre-attempts state (ie, would I just stop lircd, modprobe -r lirc_zilog, remove lirc_zilog, restore the old lirc_dev, delete haup-ir-blaster.bin, delete/etc/lirc/   and perhaps reboot or re-log-in?).
> Nah, you just need to use the correct config file and daemon starting
> methods. You either have to start it by hand with all args provided,
> or you use your distro's initscript, which sucks in the various device
> options from its config file. Looks like you're running Ubuntu, so
> you edit /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and then run /etc/init.d/lirc stop and
> start (or restart) to pull in new values from hardware.conf. (That file
> is NOT part of upstream lirc, lircd knows nothing about it, it only
> knows about your lircd.conf if its at /etc/lircd.conf or at
> /etc/lirc/lircd.conf).

If I stop lircd with $sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop and then remove
lirc_zilog with $sudo modprobe -r lirc_zilog and then load lirc_zilog
with $sudo modprobe lirc_zilog, then two instances of lircd start as
soon as I load lirc_zilog:

/usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --device=/dev/lircd
--connect=localhost 8765 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid

and

/usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --driver=dsp
--device=/dev/lircd --listen

In other words, it doesn't seem necessary to issue /etc/init.d/lirc
start for lircd to start up (or should I issue that anyway?).

$sudo irsend LIST "" "" still returns nothing while $sudo irsend
SEND_ONCE blaster select returns

irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE blaster select
irsend: hardware does not support sending

(this seems odd to me, because LIST seems to indicate there is no
device, while irsend seems to indicate there is a device, it just
doesn't support sending).

Is it correct for /dev/lircd to be a symlink to /var/run/lirc/lircd? Or
should this be an inode? Also, is that driver line correct, or should it
point to the HD-PVR driver at /lib/firmware?

Also, while the STBs (and thus the commands lirc transmits) would vary,
wouldn't the config files for all HD-PVRs running on Ubuntu 10.04 be
identical, except for where they issue commands to the STB? In other
words, couldn't I simply copy anyone else's /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf and then just modify the transmit commands to
match my STB? I'm sure others, less mentally challenged than I, have
managed to get this working (I know: I'm being lazy...).

--

Kind regards,

Martin