[mythtv-users] Need Help: HD-PVR IRBlaster

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:03:09 UTC 2010

> If I stop lircd with $sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop and then remove
> lirc_zilog with $sudo modprobe -r lirc_zilog and then load lirc_zilog
> with $sudo modprobe lirc_zilog, then two instances of lircd start as
> soon as I load lirc_zilog:
>
> /usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --device=/dev/lircd
> --connect=localhost 8765 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid
>
> and
>
> /usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --driver=dsp
> --device=/dev/lircd --listen
>
> In other words, it doesn't seem necessary to issue /etc/init.d/lirc
> start for lircd to start up (or should I issue that anyway?).
I'm guessing I shouldn't be unloading lirc_zilog. Have tried using
/etc/init.d/lirc restart instead.

> $sudo irsend LIST "" "" still returns nothing while $sudo irsend
> SEND_ONCE blaster select returns
>
> irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE blaster select
> irsend: hardware does not support sending
>
> (this seems odd to me, because LIST seems to indicate there is no
> device, while irsend seems to indicate there is a device, it just
> doesn't support sending).
I tried replacing /etc/lirc/lircd.conf with
/usr/share/lirc/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge. For the first
time since I started working on this two weeks ago, irsend LIST "" ""
shows something!

$ sudo irsend LIST "" ""
irsend: Hauppauge
irsend: hauppauge_pvr
irsend: Hauppauge_350
irsend: Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S
irsend: Hauppauge

Unfortunately all of these give the "irsend: hardware does not support
sending" message. Does that mean my issue is down to the driver?

> Also, while the STBs (and thus the commands lirc transmits) would
> vary, wouldn't the config files for all HD-PVRs running on Ubuntu
> 10.04 be identical, except for where they issue commands to the STB?
> In other words, couldn't I simply copy anyone else's
> /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and then just modify
> the transmit commands to match my STB? I'm sure others, less mentally
> challenged than I, have managed to get this working (I know: I'm being
> lazy...).
>
> --
On that last point, I feel rather foolish, having discovered
/usr/share/lirc/remotes...sorry!

--

Kind regards,

Martin