[mythtv-users] mythbuntu-diskless - how to set client hostname?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:02:42 UTC 2010

I'm moving to mythbuntu 10.04 (for the LTS aspect -- I build my own
myth binaries from source) and I want to set up my 3 netbooting ION
frontends as Mythbuntu-Diskless clients according to the instructions
at http://www.mythbuntu.org/wiki/network-boot-mythbuntu-diskless .
The only issue so far is that when the diskless client boots, it
insists on settings its hostname as the MAC address.  A related issue
is that it auto-generates an /etc/hosts file whereas I would like to
use a system-wide hosts file.

Does anyone have experience getting this to work "right"?  Or do I
need to resort to something like overriding hostname and /etc/hosts in
rc.local?

Jim