[mythtv-users] Remote admin (was HVR-2250 Analog trials)
mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Dec 23 19:28:31 UTC 2010
Regarding your parents' Christmas present, I thought it might be useful
to share some tips on remotely administering a Myth system for family &
friends. Perhaps you've got this covered, but just in case:
1) get your parents a domain name.
On your parent's computer and/or router:
2) set up some form of dynamic dns on either their router or myth box
3) set up ssh with a non standard port.
4) set up apache with a non standard port and make sure mythweb is
5) configure their router to pass through the non standard ports to the
6) set up x11vnc with a password on their myth box.
On your computer:
1) make sure you can connect via ssh to their myth box with an ssh
tunnel configured on port 5900.
2) make sure you can connect a vnc viewer over the ssh tunnel to their
myth box's X display using localhost:5900.
Don't shoot me, but I use winxp on a thinkpad laptop with putty and
tightvnc for the above. I have found that doing the same with a ubuntu
desktop distro is a lot slower and less reliable. Maybe it's the
wireless driver or the available vnc clients for linux or the video
driver support for my 6 year old thinkpad.
Get them an external hard drive and plan to make backups of their
recordings and database (at a minimum) when you visit. Once they start
using myth, they won't be happy if they lose their recordings due to a
hard drive going bad.
More information about the mythtv-users