[mythtv-users] Remote admin (was HVR-2250 Analog trials)

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Dec 24 05:00:18 UTC 2010

Doug Lytle wrote:
 > faginbagin wrote:
 >  > Hi Doug,
 >  >
 >  > Regarding your parents' Christmas present, I thought it might be
 >  > useful to share some tips on remotely administering a Myth system for
 >  > family & friends. Perhaps you've got this covered, but just in case:
 >  >
 >  > 1) get your parents a domain name.
 >
 > Thanks for the input Helen!
 >
 > I've got them running a Linux based firewall with OpenVPN on it.  It
 > connects back to my network.  Also, the database will be backed up
 > nightly via BackupPC.
 >
 > We'll see how it goes, I don't know if it will be well accepted.

I figured you probably had it covered.

FWIW, both my sister and my 82 year old mother enjoy MythTV. They had
been used to DVD recorders with hard drive, which probably helped. In my
mom's case, she needed a lot of guidance and patience teaching her how
to navigate through recordings, how to do commercial skipping, etc. But
she's getting better with practice. I'm sure the acceptance factor would
not have been good if they didn't have me to keep things running
smoothly. I hope your parents enjoy their new toy. If they're like my
family, they'll have no clue what goes into it, but they'll enjoy it.

Happy Holidays,
Helen