[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 24 18:00:19 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 24, 2010 10:47:54 am Kenni Lund wrote:
> Den 23/12/2010 06.18 skrev "Dave Richardson" <mythtv at derdev.com>:
> > What specs would put forth a quiet-as-possible FE that had some
> > real balls, was ideally fanless/quiet, and didn't need a lot of
> > tuning to kick ass?
>
> If you don't mind putting together a system yourself, you might want
> to have a look at the upcoming Intel Sandy Bridge processors. I'm
> personally looking forward to the Core i5-2390T, which should be a
> dual core @ 2.7GHz, turbo mode at 3.5GHz and a TDP of only
> 35Watt...[1]
>
> With such a low TDP, you should be able to power the system with a
> passive brick PSU as well as keeping the CPU cool with minimal effort
> ( = with a huge passive cooler or a low RPM fan). And the system
> should still be able to kick some ass ;)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "passive brick PSU"?

I'm unaware of any "passive" power supplies, perhaps you mean
"passively-cooled", or "fanless"?

Do you mean something mounted outside the PC case? Or a standard ATX
type power supply without any fans?

That much power for 35 watts does seem awesome, a result of the
decreasing transistor size these days (.45nm and getting smaller).

The "turbo" mode seems like a trip down Memory Lane to the 80s. Some
Asus motherboards today have a system to use the power switch as a
"turbo" button, kicking in an overclock profile.

Just wondering.