[mythtv-users] ION + VDPAU + no composite and still tearing

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 19:55:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
> <AANLkTi=P4WiRfCSYszL23vZqyttVSUP5PDWn+LtWUdyE at mail.gmail.com>, Jean-
> Yves Avenard wrote:
>> > You need to add "HWCursor" "Off" to your Device section.
>>
>> How is that supposed to fix tearing ?
>
> I have no idea, but it works, which is good enough for me. Sometimes
> the tearing comes back, but only every 3-4 weeks, and a frontend reboot
> fixes it.

There have been folks running the Zotac ION ITX motherboards with a
single large heatsink who found the thermal pad between the CPU and
the heatsink to be inefficient at transferring heat.  If I remember
correctly, the CPU is smaller in height than the GPU, so the GPU has
thermal paste and the CPU has a thermal pad.  They recommended
replacing the thermal pad with a copper shim:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Copper-Pad-Shim-HP-dv2000-dv6000-tx1000-w-thermal-paste-/130467515971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60784e43

I bought a couple of these shims but I've not had a chance to modify
my two IONITX-C motherboards.  I have noticed one CPU runs a lot
hotter than the other with the identical setup and same content and
I'm hoping the copper shim helps transfer more heat to the heatsink
and keeps the CPU cooler.  I know the CPU will throttle from 1.6GHz
down to somewhere around 1GHz if it gets too hot and I believe the GPU
also underclocks itself and leaving the frontend unresponsive and
jerky.

/Brian/