[mythtv-users] Looking for a New remote

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Dec 26 14:41:12 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-25, at 8:48 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 18:29, George Nassas wrote:
>> The charging mechanism doesn't.
>
> I find I suffer that problem on most of my rechargeable wireless gear.  I don't know why, but they've never managed to produce robust contacts.  I always end up getting out the soldering iron and dropping a bead on each of the contacts.

Wow, wish I was courageous enough to break out the soldering iron.

It's particularly galling because harmony remotes have usb connectors on them but it never occurred to anyone at logitech to allow charging through that interface. Eventually it did because newer models can be charged by usb but I'm SOL.

In the interest of adding actual value to this thread: I keep a pencil eraser next to the charging cradle and every so often rub down the contacts on the remote and the cradle. I also keep a C cell battery nearby to put weight on the remote so it will maintain contact once established. That has worked so far although there is some amount of jiggling involved to get it to make contact in the first place.

- George