[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 27 17:06:13 UTC 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 4:32 AM, Tom Runner wrote:

> Well after finally fixing my IR blaster issue by recompiling the hdpvr module, I never succeed to get back "recordings" and "live TV" working. I tried to recompile the hdpvr module again. Totally drop the database and recreated it. The logs were not giving a clear direction, error changing each time.
> When backend is stopped, the cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg works perfectly well. So it's most certainly an issue in MythTV.
>
> So many tries and others changes that now I gave up and will retry from a vanilla installation.
>
> This computer is dedicated to 3 things:
> - MPD
> - XBMC.
> - MythTv
>
> As I restart a full install, what would you recommend in term of stability, simplicity and compliance with the above applications between Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14, knowing that in any case I will have to recompile hdpvr in order to have my Hauppage 4903 recognized.

Not entirely true. The latest Fedora 14 kernel should support your hdpvr.

However, I'm not running Fedora on my myth boxes anymore myself, I've
switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Once CentOS 6 is finally released,
you can expect there to be an EL6-based distro following closely in its
wake, which I think will make for a rather compelling mythtv platform for
quite a few people...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com