[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 27 18:17:50 UTC 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:

> On 12/27/2010 12:06 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> However, I'm not running Fedora on my myth boxes anymore myself, I've
>> switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Once CentOS 6 is finally released,
>> you can expect there to be an EL6-based distro following closely in its
>> wake, which I think will make for a rather compelling mythtv platform for
>> quite a few people...
>
> Yes, RHEL/CentOS 6 is very appealing at the moment (or will be once CentOS is released). I have been considering it myself.
>
> However, keep this in mind. In two, three, four years from now you will really struggle to get the latest hardware or software support.

Latest software support is much more of an issue than latest hardware
support. Red Hat adds new hardware support every 6 months or so. Granted,
you may have to wait 5+ months if you go with brand new shiny hardware,
but for example, I'm not aware of any mainstream x86 hardware that isn't
at all supported by the kernel in the soon-to-be-released RHEL5.6 update.
Its been run on all the latest and greatest Intel and AMD processors and
chipsets, anyway (including some that aren't yet released). Less common
hardware, and/or things that were never supported on RHEL5 (like lirc and
a myriad of v4l/dvb devices) are another story, of course... But there's
work underway to get the v4l/dvb/rc media_build stuff working as far back
as 2.6.18 again to remedy that. Note that RHEL6 has most of the v4l/dvb
drivers enabled though, unlike RHEL5, and someone (we won't name names) is
working on a current latest upstream backport patchset for RHEL6.1...

> Just think how much harder it is now to get myth 0.24 on CentOS 5 running than it is on Fedora or Ubuntu (at least on modern hardware). So, one should go that route only if they plan to treat mythtv box as an appliance and not constantly update it. And where is the fun in that? :-)

Yep, it definitely takes some of the fun and excitement out of a myth box,
but if that's what you want, its great. Its become what I want of late, I
just don't have the time, energy or desire to keep up with Fedora anywhere
but on my laptop and on development boxes, where breakage doesn't cause my
wife and/or kids to complain. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com