[mythtv-users] Swapping in a new flatpanel

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Dec 27 19:22:22 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 26, 2010 05:11:37 pm Neil Cooper <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> If it was me I'd stop worrying and actually just try pluging in what
> girlfriend got you already. I'd set the TV to autoscale the image
> rather than have the vid card do it on the basis that it saves a little
> extra work from the already busy vid card and your TV will probably do
> a better job of scaling anyway, but other than that  It WILL just plug
> and play.
>
> Why would you trade in a fully HD capable tv for one only capable of 720
> natively? It wouldn't save you much money and at least with 1080 you've
> got the option to watch HD and blu-ray natively in future even if you
> now don't ever think you will need it.
>
> Not sure what you meant by just using "TV out" but you should keep your
> interconnect between your PC and TV to a digital type (i.e. HDMI or
> DVI) if you can. Only use the old analog RGB 15 pin 'D' connector if
> you really have no digital option which would be highly unlikely with
> any 'modern' vid card or TV. If you meant using some other analog video
> signal like composite video or even worse a modulated signal into your
> antenna input, you will get a very noticeably crappy picture quality
> even with SD-only material.

A little confusion in describing what I have and was asking, perhaps.

I currently use a plain old 17" CRT monitor for display - no TV yet.

It seems that my 1920x1080 gift panel monitor will be wasted on my SD-only
setup that I only use to watch recorded SD shows. Any other upgrading, like
for better video or HD or digital, would be with a whole new machine.

I'd still like a larger display though, so I was wondering if a 20" panel
TV could be driven from my nVidia 6100 (with only an analog VGA connection
or adapter).

Thanks.