[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 00:15:43 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, 28 December 2010, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> Latest software support is much more of an issue than latest hardware
> support. Red Hat adds new hardware support every 6 months or so. Granted,
> you may have to wait 5+ months if you go with brand new shiny hardware,
> but for example, I'm not aware of any mainstream x86 hardware that isn't
> at all supported by the kernel in the soon-to-be-released RHEL5.6 update.
> Its been run on all the latest and greatest Intel and AMD processors and
> chipsets, anyway (including some that aren't yet released). Less common
> hardware, and/or things that were never supported on RHEL5 (like lirc and
> a myriad of v4l/dvb devices) are another story, of course... But there's
> work underway to get the v4l/dvb/rc media_build stuff working as far back
> as 2.6.18 again to remedy that. Note that RHEL6 has most of the v4l/dvb
> drivers enabled though, unlike RHEL5, and someone (we won't name names) is
> working on a current latest upstream backport patchset for RHEL6

All those years I had been running CentOS4 then 5.

Not once did my dvb-t card nor audio worked out of the box. I always
had to play with repositories or compiling from source. It also
usually required to manually compile the realtek network drivers as
the kernel kept thinking it was another chip  Until one day I was fed
up booted ubuntu and everything worked, and that was in the liveCD!

I still have my centos partition on my backend(centos 5), I rebooted
on centos last week, upgraded everything, and sure enough no audio and
no network, once again I had to blacklist the realtek module.
CentOS/RHEL may receive better support in the long run, but my direct
experience is that as a user you're on for a long struggle to get
things going.

And since I've played with the debian way of packaging things, no way
I could go back , it is sooooo much better. And when I install a
kernel update, I *never* have to install a new package for alsa, v4l
or nvidia (or any modules for that matter). Dpkg automatically rebuild
all custom kernel modules.

Sure with atrpms, there are ways to have it install kernel modules
packages automatically, but more often than not I found that a
particular version didn't exist for the new kernel.

I still run CentOS at work on old machines that works and that I'm
afraid to touch.. But for new installation, we use ubuntu.
We just completed a project for the Australian trains, our development
box were ubuntus (target is openwrt)