[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Tom Runner tomj.runner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 06:01:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> running
> appliance
> >>
> >> Yep, it definitely takes some of the fun and excitement out of a myth
> box,
> >> but if that's what you want, its great. Its become what I want of late,
> >> just don't have the time, energy or desire to keep up with Fedora
> anywhere
> >> but on my laptop and on development boxes, where breakage doesn't cause
> my
> >> wife and/or kids to complain. :)
> >>

> > That's the problem, isn't it? A myth box should be ideally a
> fit-and-forget appliance. One certainly shouldn't be trying out new hardware
> on it all the time. (That's for the Frankenstein box I keep in the cellar.)
> >
> > I'm definitely thinking of CentoS 6. The only question is, will it
> support the tuners/filesystems/video cards/audio/myth release that I want to
> use *now* ?
>
> > It should. RHEL6 has the bulk of the v4l/dvb stack enabled, includes
>> support
>> > for ext4 and xfs, fairly recent alsa, solid open-source drivers for
>> intel,
>> > amd/ati and nvidia graphics cards. I've not had any more issues getting
>> things
>> > going on RHEL6 than on Fedora, outside of having to build a number of
>> packages,
>> > but if you're using ATrpms, I believe Axel already has all of that
>> available,
>> > and it was fairly trivial for me to build everything I needed and wanted
>> from
>> > RPM Fusion and/or Fedora packages. At the moment, I'm maintaining a
>> private
>> > repo of my own w/all the bits in it.
>

> Well Fedora 14 is not having the Hauppauge 4903, at least in the Kernel
2.6.35.6 which is the one coming with it.
Nor seems to have any Distribution this last revision of the Hauppauge.

As a matter of fact every distribution is facing issues with one driver or
another. The point is to succeed finding one with which you can stabilize
and more "move". In my case having on one side an ION and now the Hauppauge
4903. Each update has to be done very carefully or you end up with a black
screen or now Mythtv no more working. The last driver is not always teh best
one depending on your linux version.
Conclusion, none is perfect and as Jedi said we finally choose the one with
which we are the most comfortable with. But so much time spent to make it
work the way we want and so much frustration when suddenly something is no
more working.