[mythtv-users] Storage Groups, Mythvideo and metadata mayhem

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:35:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have had this problem for weeks now and can not figure out what is wrong
> with my frontend.
>
> I am running .24+fixes
>
> All my videis are delivered via storage groups but I have tried switching to
> local directories (NFS) under mythvideo and I still have the problem.
>
> I have Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video
> Settings->MetadataSettings
>
> "Enable metadata in file browse mode" set to on and I am using Arclight.

This checkbox pertains only to *loading* metadata, writing it is still
controlled by whether or not the item itself is in the database (ie,
whether it has a proper metadata object).

> None of my videos have have metadata, covers or fanart showing on the
> frontend. If I hit "w" for a video, the data will display. If I then back
> out of the menu once so that the "Watch videos and Watch recordings" menu is
> visible and then go back in, the metadata sticks but If I back out to the
> main menu and then navigate back to watch videos, the metadata is gone.

It's still there in the first case because the active in-memory
metadata is cached for five seconds after leaving mythvideo to make
re-entry quick if MythVideo is exited in error.

> Can someone suggest where I should be looking?

If you want to add metadata, turn off file browse mode, scan for
files, and query metadata on items.

Robert