[mythtv-users] Want to automatically backup my music directory

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 18:43:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do you ever delete music on the windows side?
>>>
>>> if not
>>>
>>> rsync -ax --progress sourcefolder/ destfolder/
>>>
>>> would be enough and you would not need to check if the windows box was up.
>>> John
>>
>> I don't delete music, just add it.  However, if the windows share is
>> not mounted, would there be any issue with doing this (i.e., would it
>> delete everything in the destination folder because it thinks I am
>> trying to backup an empty folder)?
>
> It does not delete unless you specifically tell it to do so. The -ax
> params do not delete.
>
> John

Cool.  So just that I understand what this command will do: will it
compare the source and dest folders and add to dest folder all the
files from the source from the source folder that are not currently in
the dest folder (so if I add a single mp3, it will just add that
mimicking the file structure instead of copying over the full 100 gigs
from the the dest folder)?