[mythtv-users] lirc, hdpvr, and IR blaster

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Wed Dec 29 02:41:39 UTC 2010

On 12/28/2010 07:30 PM, Martin Lynch wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I made the decision to upgrade from OTA to using dish network.
>>
>> I purchased two HD-PVR's and two VIP211 Dish network receivers.
>>
>> I have these installed and they seem to be capturing data just fine.
>>
>> However, I am totally confused on how to properly configure lirc to use
>> the blaster on the hd-pvr to control both receivers.
>>
>> On the back end, I also have a mce receiver, but it is in another room
>> via a USB->cat5->USB connector, so I can't really use the blaster on it.
>>
>> So, Can anyone give me some guidance on configuring lirc for Fedora 14
>> x86_64?
>>
>> So, here is the situation:
>>
>> 1) MCE remote for mythfrontend control ( on the backend )
>> 2) Two hd-pvrs with IR blasters to control receivers
>>
>> I am not sure how to blend/merge/manage the lirc files to include the
>> MCE, add the two IR blasters, and keep everything separate.
>>
>> Any guidance or examples would be appreciated.
>>
>> Michael
> Out of curiosity, have you gotten a single blaster to change channels on
> the Dish STB? I've been trying to get my HD-PVR to control a Bell 9241
> (which is a rebadged Dish VIP612) for near 4 weeks now (see various
> posts under "Need Help: HD-PVR IRBlaster", which seems to have hit a
> dead end). As near as I can tell, the codes to control satellite boxes
> via an IR Blaster connected to an HD-PVR flat out will not work.

Hi Martin,

No, I have not gotten a single blaster to control the satellite box yet.
  I only have the MCE remote working.

I have been reading the various HD-PVR threads including yours and was
hoping someone who had a working solution would chime in.

At this point, I am happy to by a third party blaster if it will make my
life easier.  Any suggestions?

Anyone controlling multiple vip 211's and willing to share their configs?

Michael