[mythtv-users] mythbuntu-diskless - how to set client hostname?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Dec 29 10:54:11 UTC 2010

On 29/12/10 00:20, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

> 3. Strangely, the user and group IDs for the mythtv user are different
> on the server and client machines.  This causes problems if you want
> to use NFS to share files between the server and client.  I dealt with
> this by settling on a common uid/gid, using "vipw" and "vigr" in both
> the server and chroot environments to change them, and then using
> something like "find / -user<old_mythtv_uid>" to locate files owned
> by mythtv and chown them back to the new mythtv uid.

There's nothing particularly strange about this, it is just a result of system
users being created (or not) depending on which system services get installed on
each box. Sometimes they are allocated fixed UID/GID pairs, sometimes they just
get the next available entry.

You've found a way round this, so you're all set. Next time you plan to do an
upgrade which nukes most of your installation, you might try what I have been
doing since I found this particular problem:

When you create the master backend, create all the required users up front
before installing the myth software (and any other software that might cause
similar problems). This will allow you to specify (override) the UID and GID
that is suggested so that you have some control over the process.

I make my mythtv user a normal user - in fact I keep a list of all users and
manually create them on all boxes (one of these days I'm going to figure out
LDAP, so help me). Making mythtv a normal user means I can put it's $HOME on
/home/mythtv rather than /var/lib/mythtv - avoiding possible disk fill problems
and retention over upgrades. Only then do I install the myth software. Then,
using that list of all users and their UID/GID values I create those same users
on all my other boxes.

--

Mike Perkins