[mythtv-users] playing bluray

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 14:57:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The example in the KEYDB.cfg file has 5 lines for the HOST_CERT, each
>>> starting with a "0x".  The info included in the aacskeys appears to be
>>> one long hex string.  Is the example broken up for readability
>>> purposes or do I need to chop up the long hex string and match the
>>> format / length?  This is not obvious to me.  Or am I just totally on
>>> the wrong track here?
>
> I keep finding myself needing to add more thoughts...
>
> This requires a little deductive reasoning, but come on, not a lot--
> Create a Host certificate entry in your KEYDB.cfg using the
> information in the files... do the numbers of digits match the
> example?  If not, you're doing something wrong.  Yes, you need to
> follow the example EXACTLY, including breaking up the long string and
> adding 0x prefixes... the \'s you see are standard for anything in
> POSIX to indicate that the command/information continues on the next
> line.
>
> I really thought that most people would be savvy enough to follow the
> relatively simple steps to get this working, and I've really gone
> about as far as I feel comfortable going in open forums to leave
> as-specific-as-is-safe instructions.  If you can't figure out how to
> make things work given the wiki, the detailed instructions, and all
> the keys in front of you, you may want to wait until libaacs is
> polished enough to be used with little intervention.  This isn't meant
> insultingly, simply as an expression that this is new code meant for
> advanced users, and that I don't feel safe or comfortable telling you
> where to dot is and cross ts on this topic in a publicly logged list.
>
> Robert

Robert,

First of all I want to sincerely thank you for the help you have
provided me to this point in trying to solve my problem.  I always
appreciate when people take time out to help a stranger on mailing
lists, forums, etc. like this.  It is one of the things that I like
best about MythTV and other open source projects.

Second, I understand the "sensitive" nature of this subject and
wouldn't expect or want you or anyone else to post anything that could
put this or any other project in jeopardy in any way, shape, or form.

Having said that, I do feel the need to defend myself a bit.  When I
first started looking at this subject closely a few days ago the wiki
page was inaccurate / incomplete, with the link to the doom9 forum
topic on libAACS missing.  If nothing else comes out of this thread I
would at least like to think I got the wiki page corrected which will
help others in the future.  Furthermore, when I realized the wiki was
missing information I did try to search for additional information on
getting things configured, and found a page on the doom9 forums
specifically related to this topic and MythTV.  This post talked about
using aacskeys to get information off the disc and then adding this
information to the KEYDB.cfg file.  This is in direct contrast to the
highlighted note in the Internal Playback section of the MythTV wiki
page.  The post on the doom9 forums appears to have been changed in
the last day or so.  Hopefully you can see where with some information
missing, conflicting, and changing I could become a bit confused.
Finally, the sample KEYDB.cfg file says that each host certificate
entry must have 4 hexadecimal strings.  Then the example shows the
HOST_CERT "value" broken up into 5 lines, each starting with a "0x".
I know that the "\" represents a continuation, but when I see a "0x"
to me that means the beginning of a new hexadecimal string, not the
continuation of the previous string.  If this is wrong then I guess
the saying "you learn something new every day" applies.  The
information included in the aacskeys archive has the the host cert
value all as one long string.  Can I figure out how to parse this
string so that if fits into the example in the KEYDB.cfg?  Probably,
but it's still a bit confusing to me, and maybe that's intended.

I'm at work right now, but will be giving this another crack later on
today.  Hopefully with a fresh start and the help you've already given
me I will get this working.  If not, there will be no more questions,
log postings, etc. on the subject from me.  Typically when I run into
an issue like this I can work my way through it, usually with the help
of people like you.  But there have been times when I've realized that
something is a bit beyond me and I've been stumped.  I've had to put
hardware on the shelf before waiting for drivers, software, etc. to
mature.  If this is one of those cases then I'm fine with that.

Thanks again,
John