[mythtv-users] deleted channels and need to restore from backup

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 17:32:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Andrew <mythtv at heathsworld.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Andrew wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to use the channel scanner in .24 to pickup a new channel that
>> was added and behold it deleted all my channels after the scan.  :o  I have
>> a backup that is 2 months old (thought myth backed up on it's own somewhere
>> but couldn't find it) and would like to restore my channel info from that
>> old DB.  Does anyone know what tables I would need to extract from the old
>> DB and insert into the new one?  And if so what commands to use to do this?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Never mind....  I was able to find a more recent DB backup and just reloaded
> the whole DB.  That channel scanner still needs some work.  For example, the
> software that comes with the HDHOMERUN has a simple scanner that you just
> hit "scan" and it picks up all the channels and even labels them with the
> correct channel name and numbers.

The HDHomeRun only has to deal with one locale and one broadcast
standard, and thus can streamline the options down to nearly nothing.
We do not have that luxury.  SiliconDust and the HDHomeRun do a lot of
"phoning home" with their data and the aggregating the results of many
people's scans to filter out things like VOD channels, crowdsource the
labeling and frequency data, etc.  Anyone is welcome to work on
writing a similar web service/data aggregation service for MythTV, but
we'd have just as many people complaining that we'd violated their
privacy if we implemented it, so in many way's we're damned if we do,
damned if we don't.  Even if we don, someone needs to be motivated
enough to work on it, and it appears nobody is.

On the contrary when you select "auto
> add" in myth the channel numbers are random and you end up manually editing
> everything.

There is nothing random about the channel scan numbering.  It's
Physical Channel - ServiceID, meaning channel 53's second subchannel
would be 53-2, etc.  This is exactly how televisions do numbering with
their scans.  If PSIP data is being broadcast, then we use that
information to further improve the channel numbering.

The only time channel numbers were truly borked was during .23 when
there were some code errors, but late .23-fixes and all of .24 will
conform to the above.  There's nothing random, and nothing different
from what any TV, DVR, or other box which is not backed by a
phone-home data aggregation service is forced to do-- our channel
numbers will match all of those other, similar utilities exactly.

Robert