[mythtv-users] cracking on some DTS tracks (SOLVED)

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Wed Dec 29 19:35:10 UTC 2010

On 4/4/2010 1:51 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:
> Nicolas Will wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have some movies with DTS soundtracks giving me cracking sounds on top
>> of the proper soundtrack.
>>
>> Not all...
>>
>> Looking at the archives did not provide me with a working solution.
>>
>> The MythTV system uses the on-board sound chips and is connected to a
>> DTS-capable receiver from Yamaha using an optical S/PDIF cable.
>>
>> Any offers on solutions ar things to explore?
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.04 - 64-bit
>> 0.23 (was the same on Ubuntu 9.10 and 0.22-fixes)
>> More details here: http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/
>
> I have the same problem.  I first wrote about it several months ago
> here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/410784
>
> Here is another thread with what I believe is the same problem:
>
> Playing the same .mkv file with other media players with DTS
> passthrough enabled works fine.
>
> A workaround is to enable the AC3 checkbox in the audio settings but
> not the DTS checkbox.  It will then internally decode the DTS sound
> and reencode it to AC3.  At least I believe that's what it does from
> reading messages on this list from JYA.

JYA's recent audio changes have fixed the problem for me.  You need to
get it from https://github.com/jyavenard/mythtv (I don't use his PPA, so
I don't know if it's available there too).  I also don't know if his
changes have been committed to trunk in the main git repo, since I run
0.24-fixes and not trunk (or master in git-speak).

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin