[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR remote : no /dev/lirc (and other IR receiver questions)

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 20:16:00 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I'm setting up a new Mythtv box, and I'm having some trouble / questions
regarding setting up an IR receiver.

I have a Harmony remote with my old mythtv box.  I have it set up as a
Sony device as it seemed to have the most buttons that can be
configured. The lirc config file for it begins as:

---
begin remote

  name  harmony550
  bits           15
  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

  header       2438   551
  one          1254   539
  zero          666   539
  gap          45023
  min_repeat      2
  toggle_bit_mask 0x0

      begin codes
          stop                     0x130D
---

Option 1:

I have a HD-PVR capture device (newest revision, I believe), and am
considering the possibility of using the integrated IR receiver.  I have
no need for the blaster, as I control my cable box via firewire.  The
hd-pvr device is working fine for video capture.  After running modprobe
lirc_zilog, dmesg shows only:

[ 1653.627751] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
[ 1653.667113] lirc_zilog: module is from the staging directory, the
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 1653.671505] lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
[ 1653.674872] lirc_zilog: initialization complete

The problem is, there's no /dev/lirc device.  And I think that I should
see "chip found with RX and TX" in the dmesg output as well (based on
some googling I've done).  The lsusb output for the device is:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge

I'm using the lirc_zilog drivers that come with the 2.6.35-24-generic
Mythbuntu 10.10 updated OS.  The hdpvr driver is from the hg tree for
v4l-dvb: http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
Do I need to be running a different version of the lirc_zilog driver?

Why am I not seeing the lirc device?   I've heard that the IR receiver
for the hdpvr device isn't the greatest (stability/reliability issues?),
so is it even worth investigating the problem further?   If I can get
the receiver itself working, would it be compatible with the above
Harmony remote configuration?

Option 2:

I've noticed that MCE remotes come with a USB IR receiver.   I should be
able to use this receiver with the above Harmony remote configuration,
right?    I have no desire to use the default MCE remote or
configuration, as I want more buttons.  :)

Option 3:

The ASRock A330ION system I got didn't advertise that it has a serial
port, but it does have the connector on the motherboard.  With a little
dremel work, I figure I could add a DB9 connector to the case and just
use my old homemade serial IR receiver and just copy the lirc config
files from the old system.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to which option might be the best
route?   I kind of like the idea of having a USB receiver, as while the
serial receiver works good enough, it's a little hokey.   I heard that
the hdpvr IR receiver is MC5 only...  is the MCE IR receiver the same
way?  It's not a dealbreaker to have to reconfigure the Harmony remote;
just a little extra work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
-WD