[mythtv-users] How do you speed up screen refreshes in VNC when MythTV (Mythbuntu) is in OpenGL Mode?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Feb 1 13:56:40 UTC 2010

nospam312 wrote:
>>> I have done a quick search and it appears adding -noxdamage somewhere
>>> may help but I have no idea which file to edit for this?
>>>
>> Since you are running Mythbuntu, you could try adding -noxdamage to
>> the shell script that launches the x11vnc server.
>>
>> You would edit /usr/share/mythbuntu/session.sh
>>
>> The command to launch x11vnc would have some options like such:
>>
>> x11vnc -rfbauth $PASSWORD -rfbport 5900 -shared -forever -nowf -norc
>> -notruecolor -bg
>>
>> and you could try changing that to:
>>
>> x11vnc -rfbauth $PASSWORD -rfbport 5900 -shared -forever -nowf -norc
>> -notruecolor -noxdamage -bg
>>
>> haven't tried it, so, YMMV
>>

> Brilliant - this has made it much, much better.  I just needed to know
> where to add the  -noxdamage command.  If you do not want to be
> messing with new X sessions, SSH etc you just want to connect to your
> MythTV boxes without having your TV on etc this fix makes using VNC
> usable (for me at least) when in OpenGL mode.  When I was researching
> a solution to the problem I think one side affect mentioned is it can
> drastically increase network VNC traffic I am not bothered as I only
> occasionally VNC to them once everything is configured.  Using
> Mythbuntu 9.10 with UltraVNC viewer in Windows.  Thanks.

For Mythbuntu 9.10 (and maybe 9.04 I can't remember) you need to turn
off Compiz effects to speed up vnc.  Go to
System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects. Set it to none. I think
the change is immediate. Connect with vnc and you will have the old
speedy vnc behavior. The -noxdamage may also work, but I know this way
works.

Cheers,
James