[mythtv-users] Upgrade from MythDora to latest MythBuntu

Bert Van Kets mythtv-users at vankets.com
Tue Feb 2 09:15:01 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Bert Van Kets <mythtv-users at vankets.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have a FE/BE system running for a couple of years and want to upgrade
>> to a newer mythtv version. I'm still running MythDora 5 and can't update
>> using yum as this version is not supported anymore.
>>

> Not trying to persuade you to stay or anything, but yes, you actually
> can use yum to upgrade that system to something newer that is
> supported. Just requires a bit of tinkering with repo config files,
> some time and effort.
>

>> As I'm moving to Debian and Ubuntu systems in my house I want to move
>> from MythDora to MythBuntu.
>> I would like to move the recordings over, but reset the whole
>> configuration database.
>> I know the locations of the media files are completely different, but
>> are there other things you guys can give me advise on?
>> Anybody have a link on how to do a partial DB backup and restore to move
>> the recordings over?
>>

> As greg already pointed out, that's all covered in the mythtv wiki.

Hi Jarod,

I was pretty sure you were going to respond to my question. ;-)
I know I can do a dist upgrade in Fedora or MythDora. I have been using
Fedora for some time. I did get into RPM hell a few times and decided to
move to Deb based systems for my desktops. I already used Debian for my
file/print server.
As I already use Mythtv frontend on my desktop (for cutting recordings
and maintenance), I wanted to have an easy system to keep the frontend
system and the backend system versions in sync. Moving to MythBuntu is
the logical choice then.

As for the partial backup of the database; I have some file type
associations and some DVD playback issues I want to get rid of. I'm
pretty sure they are still in the config from the ultra old days: Fedora
Core 6 with a manual install using your fabulous guide.
I might do a totally clean install and not backup the database at all.
I'll have to be able to cut and archive all recordings I want to keep.
I'm not sure I'll find the time for cutting and converting.

Thanks everybody for all info provided.

Bert