[mythtv-users] Comments sought on combined FE/BE box spec

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 2 16:07:58 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 08:47:39 am Michael PARKER wrote:
> All,
>
> Wow.... wasn't quite ready for that many responses. Thanks.
>
> 1) As far as the Wifi goes, I'm not seriously considering streaming video
>  over it, rather using it for streaming music (1-2 (Soft)Squeeze clients)
>  and to provide a web connection for browsing/email, remote admin/MythWeb
>  etc.
>
> I've got the card already and have it working in the P3 500Mhz system
>  running Fedora 11. It's working fine at 54Mbps (indicated, not achieved!)
>  over a WPA2(IIRC) encypted connection. It *should* support SuperG 108Mbps
>  (compatible Atheros chipsets at both ends) but I haven't really invested
>  much time looking at the ath_pci driver yet.
>
> 2) Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage would a separate 80GB OS disk
>  give over a partitioned 2TB disk? At 3Gb/s and with 32MB of disk cache,
>  I'm assuming the usual advantage of idependent drive accesses is no longer
>  significant. Another disk is possible in the case, but I'm keen not to
>  increase power consumption and noise further. I did think a solid state
>  disk for the OS would be nice, provided frequently accessed stuff, swap
>  etc. was put on the 2TB.

Many people (including me) have discovered that having the OS, and in
particular the DB, on a separate spindle from the video storage helps,
especially if R/W-ing several video streams at the same time.

With that much RAM you shouldn't be accessing swap much, if at all. It's
mainly the DB that you want separate. An SSD might be just the ticket.

> 3) My originally spec'ed mainboard was a Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H. After
>  much agonising over ATI vs Nvidia GPUs, I decided to go for a
>  VDPAU-capable onboard Nvidia GPU. Since the Gigabyte board had onboard ATI
>  graphics and a passively cooled PCIex16 would almost certainly not fit
>  alongside two populated PCI slots, I decided to go for the ASUS board and
>  do without DDR3 support. A fan-cooled graphics card is a possibility but
>  the additional power and fan noise don't appeal much.

I 'd start with the on-board 8300, knowing that you have at least a couple of
options if you find a need to beef up the video hardware. Many people are quite
happy without the most sophisticated de-interlacers (I am), but having an
upgrade path (either 9xxx card or the CrystalHD) would be nice.