[mythtv-users] Comments sought on combined FE/BE box spec

Michael PARKER michael.parker at st.com
Wed Feb 3 11:03:34 UTC 2010

All,

Firstly, thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated.

In light of the feedback, I'm going to go with the current, single-disk spec., keep an eye on SSD
prices and look at splitting out the OS/DB and video at a later date. Cheap, small capacity HDDs
would add noise and power and I'm averse to paying £100+ for a 64GB SSD right now.

I'm going with the Blu-ray player in the hope that Linux support will improve. If not, I'll swap it
with the DVD burner I've currently got in my Windoze desktop.

Graphics performance should be adequate for HD playback (the board has the 8300 chipset rather than
the 8200) but, again, I'll feel my way. I always have the option of adding a PCIe card at a later
date (providing it fits beside the PCI cards and doesn't add too much noise.....)

The CPU is overkill - I acknowledge that. But I always buy CPUs that are found wanting as time goes
by. The 605e is as much performance as you can currently get in 45W and that performance will be
there if I decide to do more stuff on the HTPC than I currently envisage.

I'll doubtless be back with problems encountered during the build but, for the time being, I'm
pretty confident that any glaring problems have been ironed out.

Thanks again,

Mike