[mythtv-users] Record only HD or prefer HD over SD

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 23:55:14 UTC 2010

Jim Stichnoth wrote:

>I've seen you give this advice countless times (and thanks for your
>patience!).  Not that I'm offering to write a patch, but has anyone
>ever considered an option where both versions of the program get
>recorded, and the less desirable version is subsequently deleted?

And have you stopped to consider the complications involved in that ?

How do you schedule it ? Do you just record one version if to tie up
two inputs would create a conflict ? How do you decide which one to
record and which to pass on - that's the fundamental problem here ?
What about a program broadcast at different times for the same
program in different qualities ?

I think the task of scheduling recordings is complicated enough as it is !

I suspect far easier to either schedule it to record from the HD
channel (at least in the UK, the HD channels on Free[view|sat] are
different to the SD ones), or let it record all occurances (which
would then leave the user to weed out the duplicates later).

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...