[mythtv-users] Master backend with no capture card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 4 01:16:34 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 07:43 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Wed, February 3, 2010 1:57 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> If I'm understanding you correctly, you won't have any problems if you
>> set up a capture card as I mentioned.  The storage usage/accounting is
>> specifically one of the known issues of a tunerless backend.
>>
> Mine's not tunerless, it actually has an old framegrabber card in it.
> It's not connected to any video sources, though, which may be the problem.

Yes, you still need to connect the capture card all the way down.  So
create a fake video source using the "No grabber" grabber, then create a
fake channel in the video source (and feel free to make it not-visible),
then connect the fake video source to an input on the capture card.

Without the card actually connected up, it's the same as a tunerless
backend (potentially worse, as it can actually cause working tuners to
become misconfigured/stop working properly in some once every 6-month to
a year kind of circumstances).

Mike